Monday, December 4, 2006

That's some sandwich

I never thought that making one peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich would grow into something that would affect so many lives -- especially mine.

This article reflects the meeting of business and good deeds, to varying degrees - from the story of a (great)grandmother who works directly with children to tips on how best to donate your money. It shows that there are so many ways to make a difference. I have struggled, trying to think of the best way to positively influence the world with my education and growing experience in business. I used to look down on people who "just" donated money, instead of volunteering in some way. This feeling grew as I went through college, because I sensed that individuals with specialized knowledge could do more good by teaching others than by simply handing over dough. With business experience especially, management and organizational skills transfer easily to any area of interest. One such story was told to me, which I retold in an autobiographical vignette.

************************************************

Air flowed in through the open windows in that warm way that defines sunny days. I often think that’s one of life’s best, relaxing experiences, and I tried to unwind my nerves as I pressed back in the bucket seat. My roommate’s boyfriend had been kind enough to drive me that day. After inquiries and uncertain replies about how my interview had gone, he pulled the car out of the parking lot into the road.

“So if that was for an internship, is that the kind of thing you want to do after graduation?”

“I don’t know,” I sighed, watching the buildings pass by. “I still don’t really know what’s out there. Want to work in the financial industry somewhere, but it’s a big field. I’m hoping after I do an internship this summer, I’ll have a better idea.”

“Well, why the financial area?” he asked. “What got you interested in that?”

I laughed. “My mom was pushing me to go into business. I took some classes and fortunately clicked with them, or else I still probably wouldn’t know what to do!

“What about you? Why linguistics? Do you enjoy it, know a lot of languages?”

It was his turn to chuckle. “It’s not necessarily about learning languages, but learning about the patterns and such, so that we can pick up languages more easily. Or that’s the theory anyway. I started because it seemed interesting, but we’ll see what happens. Companies don’t tend to pick up a lot of linguistics majors.”

“That’s probably where I’ll end up, some big corporation.”

“That’s not necessarily bad.”

“Right, I hope I’d be able to learn a lot…”

“You know,” he paused in thought and at a traffic light. “I’m reminded of a girl I knew. She loved singing, but didn’t think she was good enough. Now I thought she sounded fine, but you know how some people are…Well she decided to go the business route as well, and she may have worked at some firm for a while. But she eventually opened an opera house. She doesn’t perform herself, but manages all the business and management for it.”

I was used to hearing horror stories of investment bankers, or supposedly inspirational tales of people who built massive corporations. But this felt much closer – a student of business who had combined her passion and skills. This anecdote also pointed to my own experience, which should have been staring me in the face. I often worked on the financial side of interesting, but non-business-related initiatives, such as an art & lit magazine as well as a solar car project.

“She must be smart,” we agreed.

It seemed so convenient, instead of entering large corporations, I could become the ideal entrepreneur, but I shouldn’t strictly emulate this woman either. I will probably take the corporate career path for now –learn what’s there and experience the “industry.” I may stay for a little or a long time, but eventually there will be passion in my work. I’ll just have to see whether I’ll find or create it.

Those afternoons, with the wind and scenery whipping by, always felt so impermanent. It was odd talking about such serious things as jobs and the future, but in a way it’s easier to unload those weighty topics when you’ve got to say something now. The sun, the rush of air, the road, it brings those hidden wishes and doubts to the surface. Because soon, the ride will stop, we’ll go our separate ways, and all that was said still seems to play in the wind on a dusty back road.

************************************************

Thoughtfully using your skills is important, but I hope that I have come to terms with my non-volunteer prejudice. People have different priorities, and financial donations may be the only way some people can give back. I'm grateful for the people who do give back in whatever way. Do you know people who have creatively put their skills to use in an unrelated area of passion? Do you think there are better ways of giving back than others?

No comments: