Sunday, December 10, 2006

Finally seeing the light

As someone who likes to stay connected (or "plugged in"), I run a fair amount of electronics. With my computer and TV - not to mention cooking, cleaning, and heating appliances - I probably burn a fair amount of electricity each day. An easy way to cut my monthly energy bill has been using fluorescent light bulbs.

I have heard all the arguments against fluorescent lights - the lighting is too harsh, it takes too long to warm up. A few years ago, I would have agreed with you; my family has used fluorescent lights since I was but a wee child, and those points annoyed me. As I have grown though, so have store-bought fluorescent lights:
  • Fluorescent bulbs are now offered in a variety of colors. Whether you want a cozy warm glow or intimidating office glare, the options are there for you.
  • The bulbs will fit into your light fixtures, thanks to this swirling design. You can even get bulbs with a glass casing to look just like incandescents.
  • No more ugly flicker or waiting half an hour for your light to warm up to full brightness.
  • Fluorescent bulbs release less mercury into the environment. Wikipedia says, "According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), (when coal power is used) the mercury released from powering an incandescent bulb for five years exceeds the sum of the mercury released by powering a comparably luminous CFL for the same period and the mercury contained in the lamp."
  • Energy savings recoup your up-front investment. Fluorescents use 75-80% less electricity and usually last at least 10 times longer.
With the progress in fluorescent technology, you can maintain your quality of light while spending less money on your utility bill and less time teetering on a stepladder! I'd think everyone would jump at such a deal, but apparently few people are in on this secret - just 5% of last year's bulb sales were fluorescents. That could change though, as big companies like Philips, GE, and Wal*Mart are already pushing this product. Be sure you're one of those informed people making the switch.

Photo: Color compact fluorescent by A Dewitz

No comments: