Monday, December 4, 2006

10 ideas for daily do-gooding

It's not quite the new year yet, but I've decided on a resolution for myself. I've spent months feeling guilty for not volunteering. Sure, I cut a check to a local group a few weeks ago, but there was no feeling of fulfillment (does that sound selfish?). SO, my thought today was to do something good every day. Sounds a bit ambitious, but otherwise my life will pass in mediocrity one opportunity-filled day at a time. But really, if I don't even have time to volunteer a few hours per week, how will I do good Every Day? Thus started an impromptu brainstorm, and the push to get me going on this idea of doing a blog. My hope is that this blog will become part of something good. I haven't considered myself a writer in years though, and sometimes have trouble sticking to regimens (like getting up early every day to exercise...yeah, that's worked out real well..), so I could use your help to keep me going.

Without further ado, the quick list of good things to fit into your busy day:
  1. Give someone a genuine compliment.
  2. Walk the extra few feet to recycle that bottle or return that shopping cart.
  3. Read about something completely new to you.
  4. Challenge yourself to get out of the shower 30 seconds, 60 seconds sooner.
  5. Carry around a To-Do list. You can improve your follow-through on promises (to yourself and others) by writing down ideas as they come, or using spare moments in the day to check things off.
  6. Hit the road a little sooner or later so that your car doesn't spend as long idling in traffic. (Extra credit! Use that extra time at the office to do some reading - revisit item 3.)
  7. Even if you're the only one who realizes it, be sincere when you ask someone how their weekend was. Don't let it be code for, "Just tell me the good stuff."
  8. On the other side, be kind. Open up to establish rapport, but some stories should be saved for happy hour, not lunch hour.
  9. Donate (can easily be a dollar or less) to a charity or entrepreneur - made even simpler by PayPal.
  10. Reflect on all the good things about today.

No comments: